David Emagun is a Partner in the firm and heads the firm’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice Division. Prior to establishing Hughes Partners, David worked with some of the renowned commercial law firms in Nigeria and also acted as Legal/Community Affairs Manager in United Geophysical Nigeria Limited where he was seconded to Shell Petroleum Development Company and Nigerian Agip Oil Company onshore oil prospecting crews in Edo, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Imo and Abia States respectively a position which exposed him to the politics of oil & gas in the Niger Delta region.
David has received extensive training in advance arbitration and mediation in international oil dispute from the International Law Institute, Washington DC and the International Chambers of Commerce, Paris and has also appeared as counsel in international and domestic arbitrations and mediations in the Petroleum, Power and Real Estate sectors of the Nigerian economy. He collaborated with one of the leading United Kingdom law firms in developing the world’s leading online resource for international commercial arbitration research.
David Emagun had been involved in series of litigation, arbitrations and mediations notably:-
- He is currently representing one of Nigeria’s leading insurance companies at various judicial forums across the federation in respect of claims for an alleged breach of contract, wrongful dismissal, subrogation, product liability and debt recovery. Value of Claims: $2,552,163.51 [Two Million Five Hundred and Fifty Two Thousand, One Hundred and Sixty Three USD, Fifty One Cents]
- He is currently representing one of the foremost insurance companies in the Lagos High Court in a claim for an alleged assault and defamation of character. Value of Claims: $156,250.00 [One Hundred and Fifty Six Thousand, Two Hundred and Fifty USD].
- Led the team of solicitors that successfully represented a leading Nigerian electricity company in a domestic arbitration in respect of a claim for an alleged breach of an equipment procurement contract. Value of Claims: $250,000.00 [Two Hundred and Fifty Thousand USD].
- He has successfully represented a leading foreign airline in various claims at the Federal High Court in respect of an alleged breach of an air carriage contract. Value of Claims: $1,500,000.00 [One Million, Five Hundred USD].
- He has successfully represented one of Nigeria’s leading oil prospecting companies in series of tax and community related disputes in Edo, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Imo and Abia States respectively thereby saving the company enormous sums that would have been expended on paying illegal and obnoxious taxes and also ensuring that the company attains a near zero communal disturbance within its prospect areas in the Niger Delta region. Value of Claims: Over $4,000,000.00 [Over Four Million USD]
- He was member of a team of Solicitors that successfully represented one of the leading multinational oil exploration and production company in Nigeria in an international mediation in respect of a variation claim of over $46,000,000.00 [Over Forty Six millions of USD] arising from an EPIC contract.
- He was member of a team of Nigerian Solicitors that collaborated with a leading United Kingdom law firm which together acted as counsel to a consortium of multinational oil exploration and production companies in arbitration proceedings in respect of disputes for several millions of US Dollars arising from a Production Sharing Contract.
- Nigerian Law School
- University of Lagos, Akoka, LL.M
- Ogun State University, LL.B (Hons.)
Areas Of Expertise
Company Law and Practice, Secured Credit transactions, Labour and Employment Law, Insolvency, Banking and Insurance, Maritime, Product liability, Foreign Investment, Matrimonial Causes and Intellectual Property.
- Nigeria Bar Association
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK)
Co-author – Nigerian Chapter of Getting the Deal Through on Private Client 2014 and 2015 editions.